Monday 1 April 2013

Lesson Four - Shapes


Shapes….today I’m thinking about shapes. We, as a species, come in all different shapes and sizes. However, when it comes to our language, how we communicate with other, there’s a certain shape to our words, by necessity. We need to understand each other.

We emphasize, or stress, certain syllables, so they become more pronounced and higher in pitch. So in a word such as ‘often’, ‘oft’ is higher in pitch then ‘en’. In a sense, we create musical tones even when we are speaking. We can think of sentences then in linear shapes…the highs and lows of the syllables. 

We don’t stop to think about where we put our emphasis’; we simply speak like we normally do. When we create a song, we need to give it some thought…..so that we match the stressed syllable with the stronger beats in the bar…..Preserving the Natural Shape of the Language….and creating prosody. Of course our lyric theme should also suit the setting or melody of the tune.

So, I thought I would analyze Chuck Barry’s song: Johnny Be Good (a rock and roll classic from 1958). Its been covered by so many artists throughout the years (would you believe John Denver, Meat Loaf, Celine Dion, Prince, Buck Owens, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix....the list goes on). Do the strong stresses of the words match the strong beats in the song?


"Johnny B. Goode"
   /        /       -    -   / -  / -    /     -     /       /   -    
Deep down in Louisiana close to New Orleans,
  /         /      /   -     -    /         -   /        -   /   -    /
Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
  -          /      -   /    /   -      /       -     /     -       /
There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood,
 -             /     -    /    -     /       /         /    -     /      /
Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
  -       /  -     / -        /        -    /      -     /     -     / 
Who never ever learned to read or write so well,
-      -     -        /      -    /    -    /      /     /      -    -     /
But he could play a guitar just like ringing a bell.

[Chorus:]
/      /
Go Go
/       /    -     /      /
Go Johnny Go Go
   /       /    -    /   /
Go Johnny Go Go
/       /    -     /      /
Go Johnny Go Go
/       /    -     /      /
Go Johnny Go Go
/       -    /     /
Johnny B. Goode



-      /    -    /  -     -    /   -    -   -  /  -      /
He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
-      /     -   /     -     /       -     -    /    //        /
Go sit beneath the trees by the railroad track.
 /       -    /     -    /     -      -   /     -      /   -    -    -      /
Oh, the engineers used to see him sitting in the shade,
    /        -       -       -    /    -     -     -      /   -       /
Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made.
  -     /     -     /     -      -         /          /      -      /
People passing by, they would stop and say
-      /      -    -      / -       /   -      /        -          /
Oh my but that little country boy could play

[Chorus]

-       /   -      /      -       /        //    -    -      /    -    /
His mother told him someday you will be a man,
-         -     /     /    -    /      -   -   -   /     /       /
And you will be the leader of a big old band.
 /     -    /   -      /      -     -        /       -  /
Many people coming from miles around
-        /     -      /       -      /    -    -       -    /        /        /
To hear you play your music when the sun goes down
 /    -      /      //       -       /        -     /   -    /
Maybe someday your name will be in lights
/       -    /      -    /      /           -   /
Saying Johnny B. Goode tonight.

[Chorus]

Well, I have to say that this song has all the energy and prosody that anyone could ask for. Stressed syllables on the stronger beats. It all works.

As for my assignment this week, I was supposed to put my lyric to music. A toughie for me. As a lyricist, I rely on my co-writers to supply the music, adjust the lyric as necessary and to sing the song. Last week, I had written what I thought was a hot and steamy (literally) lyric, called Volcano.

So…..I listened to some of Pat’s loops, choose the rock ballad one, and tried to warble along. It was easier to ID the lyric stresses than to sing them. I realized that I should have changed some of the lyric lines to make it easier to sing, but too late. I was supposed to sing to what I had written. So I did just that. Oh boy. Not proud of my melody or singing; and I sure hope that nobody in my SAC group gets to evaluate my effort.  

Two more weeks of this?? I wonder if I can hold on.

3 comments:

  1. Lucy! Have you ever heard Cole Porter sing? He's a pretty terrible vocalist. But there is something to be said for a composer singing his or her own creation. Your SAC group would support your efforts whole-heartedly. Hope someday I get to hear you perform one of your songs, because that would be extra-special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I haven't heard Cole Porter sing; but I'm going to check it out. I have though heard Burt Bacharach sing....and his voice doesn't quite cut it on all those beautiful songs he wrote with those striking rhythms and harmonies. I wonder what Mr. Bacharach is writing now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there is something about hearing Mr. Bacharach singing his own songs. There's a depth and knowledge about the heart of the lyric and melody, on display.

    ReplyDelete